<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, June 21, 2004

Art, Homeowners, and a Super-Soaker

Yes, the formula for the perfect Monday. Write it down, folks; this is what you'll wish every Monday was like...


The morning started out pretty routinely (Sara says I should stop talking about what I eat for breakfast, so I'll omit that). Mom and I read over Geometry, which focused this time on the relation of Pi to regular polygons. Then at 11:00 we got in the car and headed for the Round Rock Public Library. But first, we had to make a brief stop at a local Jiffy-Lube to get our state inspection for the 4Runner. Along the car ride, we were fiddling with my Belkin FM Transmitter, trying to play some Pink Floyd on the car stereo. Unfortunately, there are stations broadcasting at various intensities on all four of the 88.1-88.7 bands that the TuneCast can cover. Consequently, I ended up listening to music on my own for the rest of the outing.

I chose the Round Rock Library specifically because they had a book there I've been wanting to get; Switching to the Mac by David Pogue. It mirrors a lot of content from OS X: The Missing Manual, but presents it from a more Windows-centric perspective. The book is clearly meant for the Mac newbie (such as myself) that's migrating from Windows and looking for similarities. Although after reading The Missing Manual, I've already learned much of the content in the book. I can probably skim through it easily in the 2 weeks for which they allowed me to check it out...

We got home at around 1:30, and had sandwiches for lunch (with our new tomatoes, of course). I was able to squeeze in a decent round of CoD before we had to turn right around and leave again at 2:30 for Art Class. Joe had done a lot of work cleaning up my Halo painting after the fuzz disaster from last week, and it does look slightly better. However, the fuzz is still visible on many portions of the painting. He promises to work on it a lot more in the following week, and "will clean it off even if [he] has to use an exacto knife for every single hair". That's one loyal art teacher...

And before we left today, Joe suggested something interesting. He runs a photo restoration business on the side out of his Art Studio, using Adobe Photoshop to touch up worn, scratched, and stained photos for 30-40 dollars apeice. Well, he suggested that I use my Photoshop experience to open up a similar venue out of our house on the other end of the county. I jumped all over the idea, mainly because my cashflow is down to a trickle right now in the reffing off-season, and I have a lot of time during the day to spend working on such projects. He gave me some sample "Before & After" pictures of his work, as well as an example of his advertising pamplet. I'm already in the process of designing my own pamphlet, as well as coming up with a business name. Joe has also agreed to devote next week's class period to teaching me his tricks for photo restoration and give me some pointers on setting up my business. I for one I'm very enthusiastic about this endeavor, and can't wait to get started...

After an early dinner, Dad and I headed nextdoor to the neighborhood Homeowner's Association Meeting at 6:30. To our surpise, virtually the entire neighborhood was already there, even though the meeting didn't officially start until 7:00. While I had planned on sitting in on the meeting, I ended up spending the entire time swimming with the other few kids from the neighborhood. Ethen was there, along with four other girls (2 near my age), and Ethen's younger (and more annoying) brother (Myst had decided not to come). As you can imagine, chaos insued within a few minutes. Water was flying, along with various swimming toys, and at one point Ethen and I went back home to fetch my old Super Soaker. That became a point of contention for the rest of the evening. I of course wasn't able to keep ahold of it for the entire time; it passed hands more than once. The person wielding it always had dominance. No one was seriously hurt, which is always a plus. We just had a fun time, something I haven't done in a while...

The meeting wrapped-up around 9:00, and everyone trickled out after that. The neighbors that live on the other side of us walked back to our house, where we gave them a demo of our Home Theater. The movie of choice was (as always) Star Wars: Episode II--the ending battle scene. Even though we've used that chapter to demo our theater more than half a dozen times now, it just never gets old. That's the mark of truly good film scene, I imagine. The neighbors left about 15 minutes later, and everyone headed upstairs to bed. I feel exhausted after all that swimming, plus I smell like Chlorine. Hope my hair's not green in the morning...

Oh, and if you're wondering where yesterday's blog is; I didn't get around to writing it today. Heck, I barely had enough time to write today's. Trust me, nothing seriously interesting happened Sunday. We had the Grandparents over, at barbecue steaks, and exchanged Father's Day cards and gifts. It was pretty social.

Goodnight, folks!
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?